Thursday, September 30, 2010

I never thought I'd feel this old at 22...

"Jules, you know, honey...this isn't real. You know what it is? It's St. Elmo's Fire. Electric flashes of light that appear in dark skies out of nowhere. Sailors would guide entire journeys by it, but the joke was on them... there was no fire. There wasn't even a St. Elmo. They made it up. They made it up because they thought they needed it to keep them going when times got tough, just like you're making up all of this. We're all going through this. It's our time at the edge."

-Billy (Rob Lowe) from St. Elmo's Fire, which turned 25 years old this week.

First, I own this movie on DVD, even though it comes on cable about once a month. Second, Rob Lowe with a dangly earring. Third, Emilio Estevez is the only male cast member NOT working the "I'm so intense" gaze thing. Finally, I only watch it for the last half hour when everything falls apart and Demi Moore has a breakdown in her empty apartment - one of the top greatest movie scenes of all time.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Kelly Love! I just watched this (for the millionth time) last weekend. The other fave scene of mine is when Billy (Rob) goes to Wendy's (Mare) house for dinner. Her Mother gossips the entire dinner and *whispers* "negative" words. I graduated in 1986, so this movie held deep meaning for our class. Now, it just makes me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always loved this movie. Watched it with my college friends on video the day we all graduated. It always makes me think of those girls every time I see a reference to it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, that's one of my favorite scenes too! I still whisper the word "cancer." I didn't see this movie until it had been out a while - I think I was either in college and watched it on cable and it even seemed "retro" back then, but I love it.

    Andra, it's so east coast preppy - anyone who went to college on the east coast would probably remember the days of Laura Ashley dresses, men with one earring, lace collars, hightop sneakers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you believe I never saw that movie? What is my problem? I was more of a Breakfast Club kind of girl, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...