Monday, September 13, 2010

How to be alone...

I stumbled across this video in one of my RSS feeds and have watched it four or five times already. As someone living in a still-strange city where it's hard to make friends, it really touched me. Beautiful, strange, and heartwarming.

"If you are at first lonely, be patient. If you've not been alone much, or if when you were, you weren't okay with it, then just wait. You'll find it's fine to be alone once you're embracing it."



Video by the extremely talented filmmaker Andrea Dorfman and poet/singer/songwriter Tanya Davis.

A must-watch for anyone who has ever found themselves in an "alone" situation, and a reminder that "alone" doesn't always mean "lonely." And when it does, "lonely is a freedom that breathes easy and weightless and lonely is healing if you make it."

2 comments:

  1. Lovely, Kelly Love (to be redundant :). Learning how to be alone is one of the hardest things I've ever, ever, ever done. It still isn't easy sometimes, as friends move away and the phone doesn't ring as much as it used to. I have a spouse, sure, but he often loves to tell me that I need some girl time when I get off on some female tangent or other.

    It is so hard to make real connections with people. I've never been good at it. You are a brave woman to go somewhere new and start that process afresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Andra! It hasn't been easy, but when I came across this video it seemed like serendipity. I've been here close to 9 months and this is the closest thing I've found to a "permission slip" (or at least inspiration) to stop waiting for the adventure to find me. My real connections are all far away, but I think the Universe put me here so I can make that kind of connection with myself. Brave? Maybe. Crazy? Definitely. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...