Monday, July 19, 2010

Seeking a Universal Truth...

I've been meaning to write about this for a while, but life - as it does - kept interrupting. In 2008, my friend Ida Becker set off on a journey around the world to seek a universal truth. I was in awe of her courage, her traveling bug, and her ability to document and capture something that is so elusive. I was lucky enough to be part of the project before she set off around the world while I was still in Charleston and just watched the video again this week. It reminded me that the truth I gave to Ida in March of 2008, the same day she shot my photo, is still true: "What I know now that I wish I knew when I was in my twenties: One, stop waiting for your life to begin — it’s happening right now. Two, your sense of humor can be a survival mechanism. And three, stop being so hard on yourself."

It took losing touch with my own truth last year to remind me how important it is to remember these things. And I thank Ida for putting together a beautiful video for her project. I printed out the photo and my truth and hung it up above my desk so I won't forget again.



Watch the video and see for yourself. And visit Ida's web site for more information and inspiration - it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...