Thursday, November 15, 2007

Today is a lucky day for those who remain cheerful and optimistic...

I used to have this written on a Post-it taped to my computer screen, but I lost it a long time ago. My friend Jeff used to say it a lot and I think it's from a fortune cookie. I've realized lately how often my thoughts (and statements) are negative and how difficult it is to try and turn them into positives.

For example:
Negative - "I spend 50 f*cking dollars A MONTH on vitamins."
Positive - "I have really expensive pee."

Negative - "I feel old today."
Positive - "I feel things because I am human and alive."

Negative - "I'm creatively drained."
Positive - "You can't fill a well that doesn't need filling."

I'm tired, cranky, hungry, pained, anxious, and bored. But I should be grateful, buoyant, healthy, calm, and inspired. And even on the days when I feel like everything is made of red tape, when it feels like a trip to the grocery store is too haaard, when the treadmill at the gym feels like the wheel in a hamster cage (damn, forgot about those little guys...now I'm having mid-90s web flashbacks), I should be thankful. A lot of things come easy to me and I have to stop complaining about the things that don't (like having a sunny personality). I get to be around people who remind me that positivity comes from within and that a whole hour of yoga is worth the happy baby pose at the end. My family is healthy. I'm healthy. And even if I have already lived half of my life (we can talk about my "mid-life crisis" later), if the second half is going to be anything like the first, it's going to kick ass.

I know how lucky I am. I do.

5 comments:

  1. that's right! as cheesy as it sounds, I always try to have a "gratitude attitude!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is tomorrow a lucky day for those who remain glum and pessimistic? I hope so.

    Maybe that's why I'm never lucky...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy day! Hope you spend it away from the gym, away from work, and with people that spoil you totally rotten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy thanksgiving to ya! Thanks for all the good reads this year.
    Joan Perry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you need another card of George Bush in drag? Because I ain't skeered to send another one. Don't make me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...