Monday, July 04, 2005

Yay America...
I don't celebrate the 4th of July because, as with many other holidays, the meaning of the whole thing has been sucked into an American void of consumerism and 50% off sales. Plus it's too damn hot to be outside eatin' grilled meat products, drinkin' PBR, and trying to stay out of the way of people setting things on fire.

I was pretty patriotic as a kid in a general like-to-watch-the-parade way. In my 20s, I couldn't have cared less. Now, I have a hard time conjuring up any patriotic feelings that aren't wrapped in pity or sadness. I'm sorry for what my government is doing around the world in the name of my country. I am glad I live here and not another place that is on the opposing side, though I don't necessarily feel safer here.

Fourth of July feels like a drunken frat party with the biggest case of little man inferiority sitting in the grand poobah chair. I can hear the "whoo-hoos" from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...