Thursday, June 30, 2005

Trippy, drippy, dippy hippies
Apologies in advance to those I might offend, but I really don't like the freaking hippies. Or yippies, trustafarians, neo-hippies, whatever the Birkenstock and patchouli-wearing, Phish-listening, dope-smoking, daddy's BMW-driving, no shower-having crowd is called these days.

The granola crunchy crowd just rubs me the wrong way. I was never a hippie, being that I wasn't born until the whole mess was OVER, hate tie-dye anything, and think a hairbrush and a tube of lipgloss can do wonders for one's disposition. But if I had been a hippie and ran across one of these little imposters, I think it would PISS ME OFF. Real hippies had a social conscience, they had beliefs, they were serious about peace, love and understanding. Forgive me for making broad generalizations, but this new breed is vapid, self-absorbed, lazy, and (I'm about to channel my late grandmother here...) devoid of character.
"They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad." ~Eric Cartman

The facts: "Free love" is no longer an option. Living off of your parents while in college does not constitute "independence." And talking about how great it would be if "everyone in the whole world could just love everyone else" in between tokes isn't going to make that dream come true. Get a clue, get a job, or (please for god's sake) go somewhere else so I won't have to ignore you when you sparechange me on the street.

In case you think there isn't a scientific basis for my opinion, check out some hippie-ness online. In these forums, there are 5,400 messages in the "Marijuana" forum, but only 1,394 in "Politics." And that's just one example. I was skeeved out enough by the whole mess that I didn't stick around long enough to figure out how many "hey can I buy pot on the Internet" or "I'm broke give me money" posts there were.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. I hate the hippies. In Charleston they are like cockroaches. Dirty, dirty, dirty hippies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...